Monday, December 1, 2008

SH5

Just started that new book--Slaughterhouse Five. The first chapter confused me at first; I enjoyed how it was written (the whole book for that matter), but maybe it was just that I wasn't paying attention as much as I should have been while reading. Kurt was narrating the first chapter! Haha. As we discussed today in class; the story does have many motifs. One in particular that I noticed was the clock/time motif. Time seemed to occur quite frequently throughout both chapters. Whether it was Billy Pilgrim and how 'time was unstuck', or the times when Billy would suddenly go back in time in his mind. So far I'm enjoying the writing a lot, and I think my liking for it will grow as I continue to read.

In the second chapter, we are introduced to Robert Weary who is among the gentleman who were dragging Billy along trying to save his life. It seemed throughout their trekking that Weary was his friend. Weary was the one who would pick him up and drag him along, even when Billy just really wanted to die. When Billy wanted to quit, Weary wanted him to keep going no matter what. At the end of chapter two Billy tells the other men to go on ahead, but Weary refuses to let him die (Whether he was already planning on beating on him for fun, or maybe he just cared for his life). After Weary gets rejected he decides to take out his anger on Billy. He repeatedly kicks Billy and Billy just lies there defenseless; wearing hardly anything to keep him warm or safe. I was wondering throughout Weary's friendliness to Billy if he was hanging onto Billy as a friend, or if he actually intended on kicking his unfortunate butt.

Hopefully I will find out more as we read along, but so far so good!

Peace!

3 comments:

Alyssa O said...

Since Weary didn't include Billy in the three musketeers, I'd have to lean towards the butt-kicking side of the argument. I also noticed the time motif and thing it's going to be very interesting to keep reading- especially as far as the aliens go.

Peter G. said...

I noticed the time motif as well and how Vonnegut tries to explain the whole thing. I found it pretty confusing how the plot was laid out with the time thing but I liked the book as well.

Lisa said...

Hey girlie!

Yeahhh, I'm fer sure leaning towards the butt-kicking side of the argument too! Like Alyssa side, Weary never included Billy in the three musketeers and I think that the only reason that he was keeping him going in the beginning was because he was in the "muskeeter spirit" so to speak. All for one and one for all and allll that jazz. When he was abandoned by the scouts, then he abandoned his care for Billy